Tuesday, January 18, 2011

LIT 311A, Literature for Childhood

Finished up Little Women today in class and getting ready to read Alice in Wonderland.  I have never really liked Alice in Wonderland so I am really looking forward to finding out what it REALLY is all about.  I had heard that Lewis Carroll was drugged out when he wrote it, but I found out that wasn't the case.  It was all a lie from the 60's when people were on LSD.  Someone who didn't understand the basic foundation of the book probably said, "You know, I bet Lewis Carroll was on drugs when he wrote this book." And then someone else said, "What? Lewis Carroll was on drugs when he wrote Alice in Wonderland? That explains a lot!" and then they turned around and said, "You know what I heard? I heard that when Lewis Carroll wrote Alice in Wonderland, he was on drugs." And the person they talked to said, "I bet he was on LSD. Have you ever been on LSD? I've seen smiling cats and caterpillars on mushrooms when I've been on LSD, too." And then someone overhearing said, "What? Lewis Carroll was on LSD when he wrote Alice in Wonderland?" and then someone said, "That explains a lot. Rock on, Groovy. Want another hit?" and the urban legend was born.  Actually there was no LSD in Lewis Carroll's time.  And if he had been on drugs there would be no way he could have finished such a deep thinking book.  Can't wait to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment